Mould tool design and approval
Many years of experience combined with a formal review process and specialist software has enabled us to streamline the tool design, review and approval process – vastly reducing risk. Our UK team of designers, engineers, process technicians and tool makers work closely with our tool suppliers to develop your injection mould tooling. This ensures it will meet our exacting standards whilst maintaining the cost benefits of utilising an overseas supply chain.
Our tools design process will typically involve:
- Concept tool CAD raised by Hymid, drawn around your component design
- Design of runners, flow paths and gating geometry
- Mould flow simulation, including flow, thermal & stress analysis
- Component design review & final DFM
- Supplier raises 3D CAD model of entire tool General Assembly (GA)
- Tool CAD is reviewed and adjusted where necessary by Hymid engineers
- Tool steels and ancillaries are specified and authorised
- Tool design is approved and commissioned for manufacture
Mould tool manufacture
We maintain close working relationships with toolmakers in the UK and overseas, enabling us to supply prototype, pre-production or pilot, single shot or multi-shot tooling for production. Tools are manufactured either to commission on your own machines or for subsequent manufacture in our UK production facility.
Each step of the tool build process is project-managed, so that we can track the progress of the tool and keep you aware of scheduling and outcomes. Our tooling suppliers undergo detailed inspection and assessment to ensure they meet our exacting ISO quality standards. This includes meeting our ISO13485 Medical Devices standard for tooling.
The Hymid team also includes professional toolmakers who provide our clients with expert servicing, modification and repair of mould tools, on site in the UK.
When we receive the tool at our production facility, our toolmakers and process technicians complete a detailed series of checks throughout the tooling – whether it is a new project or transfer tooling. Our rigorous process ensures that every tool meets our quality standards and runs as intended within our facility from the start.